Wednesday, October 6, 2010

"Sugarred Donut" Muffins

I have wanted to make these ever since I saw this recipe, they just looked SO cute and good. I mean, who doesn't love sugary donut holes, especially ones that are not fried and healthier not as bad for you :)

These baked mini muffins are pretty darn good just by themselves, but so amazing with a variety of sugary coatings. I also really like this recipe because it can be used as a basic vanilla cupcake batter.



Recipe:
(adapted from here)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups AP flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup milk ( I use 1%)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsbp melted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar, for rolling - I used vanilla sugar, powdered sugar,  & cinnamon sugar all about half cup amounts

First, preheat your own to 350 degrees F. Grease a muffin (mini) tin with cooking spray or butter.  I went a little heavy on the cooking spray only because these need to be handled when hot, so the less chance of sticking to the pan, the easier they will be to get out of the pan while piping hot.

In a large bowl or stand mixer with fitted paddle, beat together the sugar and egg until light pale yellow.

In a smaller bowl, mix together all of the dry ingredients. Slowly dump that into the mixing bowl with egg and sugar.





Mix slightly, and pour the wet ingredients in and mix all until combined and lump-free.
Tip: I mixed my veg oil, milk, and vanilla in a liquid measuring glass and poured it as one into the flour batter. It was easy with the spout on the measuring glass.

Divide the batter evenly, should make about 24 mini muffins. You should fill each with about 1 tbsp of batter.
Tip: I used a coffee grind measure (looks like a melon baller, mini ice cream scoop) to measure mine out. 

Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. The donuts do not get golden brown, so they will be done once a toothpick inserted is clean.

When they are done, carefully turn them out onto a cooling rack. Be careful because they will be very hot.


Using a pastry brush and melted butter, brush each one with a little bit of butter all over and roll into sugar mixture.
I use pie tins to put my sugar in, and it gives enough room to nicely roll them around in enough sugar.

I was also really excited about this recipe because for my cinnamon sugar ones, I used this cinnamon sugar grinder I bought a while ago. Instead of rolling these, I just brushed them with butter and grinded the cinnamon sugar over it.

For powdered sugar ones, make sure to roll them in sugar twice. Once when they are hot and again once they cool completely. The powdered sugar tends to melt a little after only the first coating.
see the difference? 

I will be making these again, I have a few ideas of my own going off in my head to make these even better :)

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. After reading this my husband is insistent that you will be bringing the desserts next time we hang out!

    ReplyDelete