Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Apple Crumble

Have you ever had one of those spur-of-the-moment baking urges? Whether you were watching a cooking show or reading a recipe and realize you have all of the ingredients in your kitchen to make this dish and it sounds amazing RIGHT NOW. Well,  I had one of those moments last night. I was watching the food network Melissa D'Arabian's 10 Dollar Dinners and she made an apple crumble. It was cold outside, I was hungry, and I realized I have apples, cinnamon, sugar, flour, and butter.. I can totally make this right now! So that is what I did.

This crumble made my house smell amazing, exactly what "the holidays" should smell like. The best part about this crumble (and, well any crumble) is the topping! What isn't great about butter, sugar, and flour? I would have been satisfied just eating the entire bowl of crumble topping by itself.



Apple Crumble Recipe
(adapted from Melissa D' Arabian )

- 3 apples [*My Note: I used 2 honeycrisp apples, these are mutant gigantic apples, so two = about 3/4 regular sized apples]
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg*
- 1 tsp vanilla 
Topping: [*this is the recipe doubled, because I love extra crumble topping]
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 1 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/3 cup oats
- 1 1/3 cup flour
- 1 tsp salt 

Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease bottom of a 13 x 9 baking dish

Peel and slice the apples into medium sized slices. Toss with lemon zest and juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar, and vanilla. Pour into baking dish
 

In a separate bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, oats, salt with the softened butter. Mix well together, use your hands- its easier to get it fully incorporated!


Sprinkle the topping over the apples to cover it completely.

Bake for 45 minutes until the top is browned nicely.


Serve with vanilla ice cream & dig in!

No comments:

Post a Comment