Wednesday, January 26, 2011

"Apple Pie" Spiced Applesauce

Sometimes the simplest things to make are the ones I would never think of trying to make homemade. Applesauce for instance, up until it a few days ago it never crossed my mind to try and make it at home. I mean, its as simple as simmering apples in a blend of sugar, water and whatever spices you like- pretty easy. 



I was terribly sick last week and Josh had surgery (everythings ok!), we both needed something cold and refreshing for our sore throats so why not make applesauce? It's moderately healthy and oh-so yummy!

I also played around with spices a little bit and instead of doing a traditional apple sauce, I thought it would be fun to make it taste like apple pie. A little cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, & vanilla and all I was missing was the crust.


Apple Sauce
(inspired by this recipe)
- 3 to 4 lbs baking apples [*I used all Granny Smith & 2 Golden Delicious to mix it up a bit]
- 4 strips of lemon peel [* use a veggie peeler]
- 1 juiced lemon
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vanilla sugar [*you could use regular white sugar, but this has so much more flavor]
- 1 allspice berry
- 1/8 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon [add at the end]
- 1 tsp vanilla extract [add at the end]
- a little more sugar (optional)

Peel and core the apples, then quarter them.

Toss with the lemon juice, water, sugars, and spices.


In a big pot, bring mixture to a simmer and simmer over low heat with the lid on for 20-30 minutes.

The apples should basically far apart at this time.


You can mash them if you like, but I like a smoother puree so I put mine through a food mill.

While it is still hot, I stirred in the vanilla extract, and the ground cinnamon. I also added another tbsp of white sugar to make it slightly sweeter.


Refrigerate a few hours until cold and enjoy!

I sprinkle mine with a little extra cinnamon!

No comments:

Post a Comment