Thursday, March 10, 2011

Lemon Garlic Shrimp with Polenta

I was browsing through foodnetwork.com as I often do, and came across a recipe for "shrimp & grits". I was instantly won over by the picture, it just looked so delicious and fresh, especially with the little flecks of flat leaf parsley scattered all over the top.


I've never had grits and certainly there is not a box in my pantry, but I know its similar to polenta [ which I love] so I decided to swap the two and make this meal. This was such a quick, easy and comforting dinner. It only took about 20 minutes tops, and only that long because I had to wait for polenta water to boil. While I was waiting, the chef-to-be in me decided to make a shrimp stock with the shells. It is now in the freezer, ready for any soup I feel like creating.


I imagine you can add any flavor combination you'd like to these shrimp and the sauce. I added a splash of white wine to mine instead of the water that is called for. The Jewish girl in me did slightly feel guilty, but shellfish is too good to pass up.

Delish!


Lemon Garlic Shrimp & Polenta

(inspired by Food Network)
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 3/4 cup instant polenta [normally, i'd use regular polenta but this was in my pantry already 
- 3 cups water, boiling
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup milk, cream, half &half [whatever you have]
- 2 cloves garlic, minced finely
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 tsp cayenne [ or more if you like spicy]
- big splash of white wine
- salt, pepper
- 3 tbsp butter, divided
- 2 tbsp italian flat leaf parsley, chopped finely

For the polenta: Bring the water to a boil. Slowly whisk in the polenta, salt/pepper.  Simmer over low for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add cheese, 1 tbsp butter, and milk/cream. Turn off heat, cover and keep warm until ready to serve

For the shrimp: Melt the 2 tbsp of butter in a saute pan, add the shrimp, garlic, cayenne, salt  & pepper and saute over medium until shrimp are pink on both sides, about 3-4 minutes.

Turn off the heat, add the white wine and lemon juice and stir until well combined and coating the shrimp. Add the parsley and toss to incorporate.

To serve: Spoon the polenta into a shallow bowl and place shrimp on top. Carefully pour sauce over the shrimp and top with more parsley.

No comments:

Post a Comment