Thursday, March 31, 2011

Simplicity- giant chocolate chip cookies

The last time I was in NYC was in 2007, and I desperately wanted to go to Levain bakery. Sadly, I did not and have never had one of their remarkable giant chocolate chip cookies. This week I am on spring break and typical me, I caught a cold and have been at home sniffling. Well in between the hot cups of tea, and movies I watched to pass the time, I had a craving for simple chocolate chip cookies.


Chocolate chip cookies are probably my favorite thing to bake because: 1) they literally take no brain power or effort to make them 2) you can have warm, gooey, fresh cookies in about 30 minutes, start to finish 3) when they are good, they are really good 4) even when they are bad, they are still kinda good




I found this copycat recipe for Levain's on their actual website and since I've never had them it was hard to compare. Whether or not its an accurate recipe, these are so devine. Much much better than the recipe on the back of the tollhouse chocolate chip package. I added my little touch with three types of chocolate and omitted the walnuts because they took up too much room where chocolate could be instead.


Chocolate Chip Golfballs Cookies
(adapted from Vanilla Kitchen)
- 2 sticks butter, cold & cubed
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract [ yes, tablespoon- i love that extra vanilla in choco chip cookies]
- 3 cups AP flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1  & 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup each of semi sweet, milk, and white chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 365F.

Cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time until combine.d Add vanilla extract.

In a separate bowl, mix together the dry ingredients. Slowly add to the wet ingredients and mix just until combined. Add the chocolate chips and mix once more. Do not overmix!

Weigh out 4 oz balls of dough and place on ungreased cookie sheet.


Bake for 18-22 minutes.


Eat warm with a glass of milk! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment