Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Vanilla Custard & Berry Trifle

With the abundance of baked goods I bring home daily from my patisserie class, I rarely have time [or fridge space] to bake anything at home. I made petit fours in class recently and about a third of the layered cake became scrap dough, so I took it home along with some fresh creme anglaise my chef made that day in class and made a trifle.


I thickened the creme anglaise by mixing it with some fresh pastry cream, layering that between cake and some raspberries and blueberries. Some piped fresh chantilly cream and some more berries on top, and voilĂ , trifle! 

I do own a trifle dish, however with the limited amount of sponge cake I had to use, it seemed silly to fill a giant trifle dish only partially. I found this crystal goblet instead which does make the layers hard to see, but its unconventionality is what makes it perfect for a trifle on a whim.  



What you'll need:
- pastry cream 
- sponge cake, pound cake, any type of cake.
- whipped cream [ whip cream, sugar, vanilla until medium peaks form]
- creme anglaise 
- fresh berries [ whatever kind you like]



Pastry Cream Recipe
(from my textbook)
- 16 oz whole milk
- 1/4 vanilla bean
- 2 oz sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 oz cornstarch
- 2 oz sugar
- 1 tbsp butter


In a pot- scald the milk, vanilla, and first sugar. 

In a bowl- whisk the egg yolks and sugar. Add the cornstarch

Temper 1/3 of the hot milk into the egg yolks and mix together.


Pour back into milk pot, and over low heat whisk until thickened [190F]. Let it boil for 3 minutes. 


Pour into bowl, dot with butter, and cover with plastic wrap. Agitate after a few minutes, and keep covered.


Cool to 41F.


Creme Anglaise Recipe
(from my textbook)
- 16 oz whole milk
- 1/4 vanilla bean
- 4 oz sugar, divided
- 4 oz egg yolks (about 6)


In a pot- scald milk, vanilla bean, and half of the sugar.


In a bowl, whisk egg yolks and other half of sugar


Temper 1/3 of milk into yolks and mix. Add back into milk pot and whisk over low heat until it is nappe [ meaning, it coats the back of a spoon when you draw a line through it with your finger]


Strain and cool on ice bath until 41F. 

1 comment:

  1. Could I PLEASE have some of that tomorrow?!

    ReplyDelete