Thursday, August 25, 2011

Chocolate Toffee Cookies

I apologize for the lack of posts but I moved recently, and my house is under construction [finally, its almost done!] and that includes my kitchen which is almost finished. So lack of kitchen, means lack of oven & mixer, and therefore lack of baking. Luckily, I was able to bake once at Josh's house which made me a very happy girl. I also started school again, so I am constantly baking but it's just not the same as in my very own stress-free kitchen at home.

I went to Fresh & Easy for the first time with Josh and on their candy aisle was chocolate covered toffee bits, and I just knew they would make for a delicious cookie add-in. Chocolate chip cookie dough base is so versatile and delicious that you don't even really miss the plain chocolate chips. You get a little added crunch from the toffee and an additional sprinkle of salt on top rounds off into the perfect salty sweet cookie bite.

Simple & comforting.


Chocolate Toffee Cookies
(Adapted from back of flour package, of all places)

- 2 1/4 cups AP flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 8 oz butter, softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 8 oz chocolate covered toffee bits, or whatever you want to add in.
- maldon, fleur de sel, or any other good fancy finishing salt to sprinkle on top of each cookie

Preheat oven to 375F. Grease two baking sheets.

Cream the butter and the sugars in a mixer until well combined and a nice creamy paste. None of this "light and fluffy" business. Chocolate chip cookies shouldn't have too much air incorporated in them.

Add vanilla, and eggs 1 at a time and mix until incorporated.

In another bowl, sift the dry ingredients together. Slowly add to the wet ingredients and mix just until flour disappears and its incorporated. Manually add in the toffee pieces.


Scoop heaping tablespoon fulls (I use an ice cream scoop #20) onto sheet tray about 1-2 inches apart. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes. Flatten cookies down slightly and sprinkle tops with a little salt.


Bake for 10-12 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through.

Cool on sheetpan for a few minutes before moving to a cooling rack.


Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment