Saturday, September 25, 2010

Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake

Remember when I said I had lots of left over caramel from the other night, well I found this recipe for a caramel peach upside down cake, but since I also had a couple apples I decided to make it a Caramel apple upside down cake!

The recipe does have its own caramel recipe included, but I just used the cake batter part and used my own caramel


Recipe
(inspired by food network)

Cake batter:
- 3/4 cup AP flour
- 1/2 cup fine ground white cornmeal (I didn't have this, so I just used another 1/2 cup of flour)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 Gala apples, cored and sliced thinly
- 3/4 to 1 cup of caramel 

Preheat oven to 350.

First, I made the batter. I took a 9 inch spring-form pan and sprayed it with baking spray and then cut out a circle of parchment paper and placed in the bottom of the pan. I then sprayed that with baking spray, just to ensure there would be no stickage :)
Note: You can use any 9 inch circular pan, I used spring-form because it was my own 9inch one. 

To make the batter, the combined the dry ingredients into a bowl and mixed together.
Tip: I like to use bowls with spouts because it makes pouring them into the stand mixer much easier.

In a stand mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment combined the butter and the sugar on high, until it is light and fluffy, about 5 minutes 


Add the eggs, one at a time and mix until fully incorporated after each addition. 





Turn the speed to low, and add the bowl of dry ingredients in three increments, alternating with the 1/2 cup of sour cream, in 2 increments. After everything is added, increase the speed to medium and mix shortly until the batter is smooth.

Let the batter sit for a minute, and wash, core and slice your apples.

Pour your caramel mixture into the bottom of the pan and arrange the sliced apples in the pan.


Pour the cake batter over the apples, smooth the top and bake for 40-45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the middle of cake comes out clean.
Note: It actually took my cake 50 minutes to bake



In the meantime, with the leftover tablespoon of caramel in the container, make yourself an ice cream sundae while you wait for it to bake!
yum!


Cool the cake pan on a rack for about 20 minutes before removing. Run a knife around the edges of the pan to release the cake and invert it onto a serving plate and remove parchment paper.

Enjoy! :)


1 comment:

  1. This looks so good :P Please make me a cheesecake for my bday, thanks!! lol

    ReplyDelete