Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Mango-Lime Cheesecake Bars

I have wanted to make this cheesecake for a while now. I am proud to say this is my own recipe. I did use guidelines from another fruit cheesecake(which I've made and it is delish) just for measurements, but the concept was completely my own. My inspiration for this mango lime cheesecake came from an episode of the cooking show "Mexican Made Easy", where Marcela Valladolid was making galaxy fruit pops and talking about how in Mexico, there are street carts that sold fresh mangoes with chili and lime to squeeze on top. I remembered after that when I was in high school I would go to this local Hispanic supermarket with my grandpa sometimes and they sold these fruit lollipops covered in chili and lime.

So I got to thinking and came up with this cheesecake. Cheesecake is an amazing blank canvas for many different flavor combinations, and because the flavors of mango, lime and chili pair so nicely together I might as well give it a try. Also, it has been excessively hot in Southern California (where I live) the past few days, a cold fresh fruit cheesecake sounded very refreshing. So here it is, my mango-lime cheesecake bars with a graham cracker chili crust.







Recipe
(inspired by Tyler Florence)
Crust:
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp ancho chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 9 graham crackers
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, melted

Filling:
- 16 oz block cream cheese
- 2 eggs
- 4 limes, zested and juiced
- 2 mangoes, peeled and pureed
- 1/2 cup sugar

Preheat oven to 325. Grease a 9x9 in baking dish, cut parchment paper to fit in the bottom, and then grease the parchment paper.

Start by making the crust. In a food processor, combine the graham crackers, sugar, chili powder, and cinnamon.

 It should look like this after it has been completed crumbed

Next, add the melted butter and pulse until the crumbs are a consistency similar to wet sand

Place the mixture into the baking dish, and pack it down evenly to form a crust. 
Tip: use a glass or measuring cup to evenly shape the crust along the edges of the pan

Bake for 12 minutes, until the crust is golden brown. Remove from oven and just let it cool while the rest of the cake is being prepared
In the meantime, peel and cut up the mangoes. Get as much as you can, because with that giant pit in the middle, there isnt too much flesh on a mango. 
Once cut, puree in food processor until smooth

Next, in a stand mixer, combine the cream cheese, sugar, and eggs and mix on medium speed until fully combined with no lumps.

While it is mixing, zest and juice your limes. 

Add to cream cheese mixture, and mix until combined. 
Add the mango puree next and blend until fully incorporated.

I love the bright peachy color it turns!

Pour into the baking dish, and bake at 325 for 50 minutes. Florence's recipe bakes for 35 minutes, but because mine has more filling it needs another 15 minutes.




It should be done when the center only slightly jiggles when shaken. Cool completely in pan before refrigerating, and refrigerate for a few hours before cutting up and serving.

Enjoy! :)

2 comments:

  1. I remember you talking about these. Bring me a bite if you have leftovers? Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though they didn't turn out as you had planned, they were REALLY good! I love you. I'm proud of you for doing this!

    ReplyDelete