Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Happy Halloweenie!

Halloween weekend just passed and Roxy threw a little party, so of course I was in charge of baking goodies for everyone. I decided to keep it simple and make classic chocolate and vanilla cupcakes.  Chocolate and vanilla can be pretty plain and boring sometimes, but if you follow a really great recipe they can be quite scrumptious.

Halloween was never my favorite holiday, but instead it always marked that time of year directly following it that makes me so happy. I love "the holidays", and in my life they include Thanksgiving and Hannukah, and New Years Eve. Halloween is always a fun holiday, especially because it lends so much creativity to numerous baked goods. I played it safe, but it was really my first time baking for a halloween party so I didn't want to stray too far out of my comfort zone.

I am super excited however for the next couple months and all the warm sugary treats I will be baking, not just at home but also in culinary school. I start the Le Cordon Bleu Patisserie and Baking Program this coming Monday!!




Recipes and pictures, after the jump!
Enjoy<3

Vanilla Cupcakes & Frosting
(adapted from Magnolia Bakery)
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour[* my note, I didn't have self rising flour, so instead i substituted  1 & 1/2 tsp baking powder for every cup of flour = 2 1/4 tsp]
- 1 1/4 cups AP flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar [* my note, i replaced 1 of these cups with vanilla sugar, since these are vanilla cupcakes]
- 1 tsp salt [my addition, because every sweet recipe does need a little salt to make it taste better]
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup milk 
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract [*my note, the recipe originally is 1 tsp, but I add more for an extra punch of vanilla]

Vanilla Frosting
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 6-8 cups powdered sugar
-1/2 cup milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt [*my addition, because even frosting needs a little salt]

Preheat oven to 350F. Line 24 muffin cups with cupcake papers.

In a mixer, beat the sugar and butter until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.

Meanwhile in a separate bowl, sift together the flour, salt, and baking powder.

To the butter-sugar mixture, add eggs one at a time, mixing completely before adding the next one.

Add the dry ingredients in 3 parts, alternating with the milk/vanilla mixture starting and ending with the flour.  Make sure everything is mixed well, but do not over beat.

Evenly distribute the batter into the muffin tins. I like to use an ice cream scooper for even measurements.

Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

In the meantime, lick off the beaters, wash the bowls and make the chocolate cupcakes!

Chocolate Cupcakes
(adapted from Ina Garten )
- 1 1/2 sticks of unsalted butter, softened 
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar, packed 
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tsbp brewed coffee
- 1 3/4 cup AP flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350. Line 24 cupcakes tins with papers

In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and 2 sugars on high until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.

Lower the speed to medium and add the eggs, one at a time. Add the vanilla and mix well.

In a separate bowl whisk together the buttermilk, sour cream, and coffee
*Tip: when its liquids, I just mix them all together in glass measuring cup, its much easier to pour later

In another bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda.

On low speed, add the buttermilk mixture and the flour mixture alternately in thirds to the mixing bowl, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.

Mix until no lumps are left and well blended.


Evenly pour the batter into the cupcake tins, with an ice cream scoop for even distribution

Bake for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.

Cool both pans of cupcakes in the pans for 10 minutes, and then on a wire rack until completely cooled before frosting them.



To make both frostings, beat the butter with 4 cups of powdered sugar and salt until combined, add the milk and vanilla and beat until smooth and creamy, 3 to 5 minutes.

Add an additional 2-4 cups of powdered sugar, depending on the spreadable consistency of the frosting.

For the chocolate frosting, I just replaced 1 of the cups of sugar with 1 cup of unsweetened cocoa powdered. I also added 2 tbsp of brewed coffee to enhance that chocolately flavor.

I decorated my cupcakes with pumpkin shaped candy corn, orange sugar, crushed up oreos and gummy worms. I made worms and pumpkins in dirt cupcakes. Also, just orange sugar rimmed cupcakes with a pumpkin in the center.

It was pretty simple, and good starter decorations for people who do not decorate cupcakes very often. Just get yourself an offset spatula and frost the cupcakes in a circular motion, until the tops are covered. Then decorate!


No comments:

Post a Comment