Sunday, November 7, 2010

Pumpkin-y goodness

One of my favorite things about fall has always been the pumpkin scones from Starbucks. I am addicted to them, always have been. I used to get one almost everyday for a while, they are just my favorite. I was trying to think of something to make with a can of pumpkin puree today and I stumbled upon a recipe of these scones. Immediately I made them, however I added my own little touches such the addition of fresh ginger (rather than powdered) and a maple icing because I think pumpkin and maple are a match made in heaven.

When it was time to roll the dough out, it was just so light, soft, and pillow-y, I knew these would be good. They baked up double their original size and were as light as clouds. Oh, and not to mention my house smelled amazing.

I also made a baked potato soup for dinner and I am proud to say this is completely my own recipe, and it turned out really well. Really good for a cold night! I will post the recipe for it in my next post.





Pumpkin Scones

(recipe adapted from here)
- 4 cups AP flour
- 14 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp grated ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 12 tbsp butter, cold and cubed
- 6 tbsp half & half
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
-2 eggs, beaten
[* my note: this is the recipe doubled, which makes 12 scones, because 6 just isn't enough]

Maple Icing
(created by me!)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 425F. Line two sheet pans with silpats or parchment paper.

In a food processor, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and spices (minus the ginger)

Meanwhile, in a separate bowl mix together the eggs, vanilla, half and half, and pumpkin.

Add the cold butter to the flour and pulse the processor until the mixture resembles a coarse meal.

Mix in the pumpkin mixture and pulse just until fully incorporated.

Turn out onto a floured board [*really well floured, this dough is very sticky] and cut the dough in half. Roll each half into a rectangular log about 9 inches long, 3 inches wide, and 1 inch thick.



Cut the dough into 3 even pieces and then each of these pieces in half diagonally, so it makes 6 triangular pieces.



Place on baking sheet and refrigerate for about 30 minutes until cold again. In the meantime, clean up!



After the dough pieces are nice and cold again, brush with an egg wash (1 egg + tbsp water) and sprinkle with some sugar.

Bake for 15 minutes, until the tops are slightly golden.
At this point, you could just eat them- they are delicious plain as well


Cool completely on rack before icing. Whisk the icing ingredients together until smooth, and glaze however you like.

Enjoy!

<3 Samantha

1 comment: